NaPoWriMo 17

This poem was created from a list of words given to me by my coworkers. Here's the list:

Bird
Turquoise
Green
Umbrage
Lovely
Less
Strength
Skirt
Carpenter



Skirt


Birds peer inside from the sapling branches.
They watch me iron a green and turquoise skirt,
fresh as spring from the close line. What strength
it takes to do this work, to take what is less
and make something lovely once more,
without umbrage, in celebration of abundance.
I flatten the hem as deftly as a carpenter levels,
while steam rises and releases itself into the air.
I embrace this little triumph, this solitary pleasure.
Let the rest of the laundry spin in the dryer
like yesterday’s news.

Comments

Kay Cooke said…
Yep, another goodun!
susan said…
How do you do it? Honestly, January, just once I want to see a bad poem from you. And I'm not a sista who blows sunshine up folks' butts so I really want to know, when is the a last time you wrote a bad poem? :-)

Popular Posts