Commence the Commencement



As of 9:48 p.m. ET, I'm still at work.

This is the one night of the year I work late, really late, as my coworkers and I put together the commencement booklets for the undergraduate and graduate ceremonies this Saturday. In less than 8 hours, we check all the names, awards, and program info. Then the books are designed and sent to print; the last book should go in a few minutes and copies will arrive tomorrow, late afternoon. My job is to make sure the books are error free (because who wants to see their name misspelled on graduation day).

The commencement booklet is the official record of the graduating class, as well as a keepsake. I'm proud to say that my team has an error-free record (hope I haven't jinxed myself). It should look as if it literally dropped out of the sky, perfectly printed and bound, as if it was effortless to create. Not the frantic race against time it is to put these babies to bed.


Speaking of bed, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Comments

Julia said…
Working late has become a habit for me this year. I'll have to see if my summer work at the labs keeps me up very long. Either way, I've not always worked late, but I've always been up late. If there's nothing to do, I write till I fall asleep doing it.

Good luck to you. And have a nice time.
January said…
Thanks Julia. The commencement booklets came in about an hour ago, 7,000 copies for the undergraduate and graduate ceremonies.

I'm glad I only have to do this once a year, but the books look terrific. So nice to see the finished product after all that hard work.

Popular Posts