Confession Tuesday

Happy Tuesday, folks! What's the one thing that drove you crazy last week? Or the one thing that bought a smile to your face? Share a little of yourself today on Confession Tuesday and we'll promise to do the same.



A good friend of mine says that these days, people are getting their inspiration/spirituality from one of two places: religion or Oprah. Sometimes both. Well, anyone who knows me knows that worship at the altar of Oprah.

So yesterday I went to Oprah's Web site and found this video of Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love and Committed. Gilbert's words have been a touchstone for me as I move into life after divorce, so whenever she talks, I listen. (If you have a 20 minutes to check out the video, please do.) She's a terrific storyteller. I identify with her views on creativity, on failure, and on living well, which is a good model for me--someone trying to honor who and what she love vs. life's mundane but necessary obligations.


****


Now that I've been given this second chance to become whoever it is I am supposed to be, I hope I am living a life that honors my children, my parents, and the people who care most about me. I hope I am making a difference somehow. If not today, then tomorrow, and the next day, and forever after.

****

I am too hard on myself; I recognize that and am working on it. I need to laugh more.

****

My poem, "Shelf Life" is up at Salamander Cove.

****

This week I'm trying to nurture my creative side by saying yes more than I say no. What I really need to do is write poetry and read a few poetry books. And spend a little more time laughing with the kids. Good thing summer is just around the corner.

****

I make a lot of to-do lists, but I enjoy making them and crossing items off. Makes me feel as if I'm moving forward. So for this week:

1. Write two poems, one from a Big Tent Poetry prompt
2. Read a poetry collection and a fiction book from my reading list
3. Revise 4-6 poems to send out for submissions

Keeping it simple this time. Maybe I'll start Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert for fiction, and Susan Rich's The Alchemist's Kitchen for poetry.

Comments

Popular Posts