Hello, it's me.

I'm here at my favorite perch in Starbucks.


Hello. It's been a while--long enough for me to miss my blog! There have been many times I had thought about writing: my reading with Ross Gay, AWP, Mass Poetry Fest. But it wasn't until the passing of Prince did I need another way to express myself. So there is a Prince post brewing. It's only been a few weeks yet it feels raw, like it happened yesterday.

****

The last few months have been both joyous and exhausting. Work, in general, has been overwhelming. Some of it was my doing. With any luck I will finish my spring semester grading today or tomorrow, and then I will have the summer to chillax. (That's right, I said chillax!)

I felt as if I've been off track and off course. I let the day-to-day stuff overwhelm me. I wasn't as proactive as I usually am. At one point, I stopped making a to-do list because if everything's a priority, nothing is a priority. I feel it in my neck muscles and the restless nights of sleep. The weeks are catching up with me. Thank goodness for spring and its renewal.

****

Since the festival, however, I have made steps to find a bit of balance. I'm going back to the gym and starting to write again. Haven't written a poem in six months. It started out as a choice not to write poems, but then it became something I eliminated from my schedule to save time. I know better.

Even writing this blog post feels pure, something for myself. I miss writing for myself.

****

The kids are great. Life is good. The temp is above 70 degrees. There's a shift back to the positive. I'm at Starbucks having a venti hot chocolate. What could be better?

This weekend, I'm attending the Morning Gardens retreat. The last time I attended, I saw Avengers: Age of Ultron. This past weekend for Mothers Day, the kids and I saw Captain America: Civil War. Something about Marvel and Morning Gardens equal my unofficial start of summer.

****

As for the blog, it needs an overhaul. That will happen over the summer. For now, this is enough.

Comments

Popular Posts