Poetry Action Plan 2019



OMG, is it time for a Poetry Action Plan? Why, yes. Yes it is!

What, you may ask, is a Poetry Action Plan, or PAP? 

It is a road map for how to think about your writing life. I have created a plan for the past 11 years and it has served me well--even in the years when I didn't think I needed a plan. 

There are four steps to creating a PAP. 

1.    Define your goals. What is most important to you as a writer?
2.    Be realistic about what can you achieve.
3.    Track your progress.
4.    Prepare for setbacks BUT be open to opportunities wherever they appear.

And if I had to add a fifth step, I’d say don’t be too hard on yourself for not accomplishing a goal.

As I have mentioned, Last year, after dealing with the death of my ex-husband at the end of 2016, I was just trying to stay above water. We were used to our little system of pick ups and drop offs. And while I never thought I had enough time, I really missed (and still miss), the balance of another parent, for everything from child care to having another voice in the room. But I managed, somehow, to get a few things done.


In 2019, I will:

  • Get ready to move to Mississippi! I had this as last on my list, but really, this is Job 1. The kids and I are moving this summer to Ole Miss for nine months. So all of my energy is going to making the transition as smooth as possible. *Gulp*
  • Write a poem a week. I didn't write very much in 2018. It was painful not writing, but I just never found my groove. This is just a part in the evolution of my process, I tell myself as I wallow in a pool of self pity. But, it's time to get back to basics. 
  • Submit to eight top-tier journals. Believe it or not, I sent poems to three journals. Still waiting to hear back from two. I was asked to submit a few places. Admittedly, I regret not writing or sending out in 2018. Won't make that mistake again. 
  • Help Rewilding find the widest audience possible. See my last post.
  • Laugh more.

My 2018 and 2017 lists are available for viewing.  

Normally, I would add squishy goals to my realistic ones. But moving to Mississippi is a huge challenge. I'm really seeking a balance between good and bad stress. What things can I put aside to make time for the things that really matter?


Good luck with your PAP!


Comments

Love these, Jan! Happy 2019!
Unknown said…
Been waiting for this.....Thinking about my own PAP......thanks for the guidance....and the honesty.

Blessings.....

January said…
Thanks, and Happy New Year!
Unknown said…
Lol! not sure I should be laughing at PAP or shaking my head. It will definitely stay with me though.

Popular Posts