NaPoWriMo 1

Poem for My Five-year-old Daughter

Be a cloud. Be mac and cheese. Be tight curls. Scream when your mom combs your hair. Be black. Be Backugan. Be Hello Kitty. Be Medusa. Be stinging nettles. Be mayonnaise. Be any color but pink and purple. Be a tree house. Be a roller palace. Be pink milk. Rest your weary head on a thesaurus. Let the words bolster your neck. Practice writing the number 2 on lined paper. Remember, 3 is a magic number. And, but, and or will get you pretty far. Break the pencil lead because you bear down too hard. Drink more pink milk. Be a chrysalis. What will you be? Don’t drink the bathwater. Please don’t make fart sounds with your hands. Turn your head from the camera lens. Let me see those beautiful curls. Be a tree, a beautiful birch. Be a daffodil tightly bound. Unfurl, ready to bloom. Stay golden. Eat sour cream and strawberries. Take the last pickle out of the jar and drink the brine.

Comments

Thomas D said…
Wonderful!
January said…
Thanks Dylan. It's hard putting these drafts up so raw. Ugh.
Nin Andrews said…
I LOVE this . . .

I am in Virginia, and I saw some okra chips the other day. I think I need to send you some!
Leslieann said…
great to know someone else is putting up the poem-drafts so raw! and someone who also has a 5yo daughter... mine loves pink and purple and rainbow --what can i do? this raw draft reminds me of kincaid's "girl". i'm also trying to 30/30 (http://poetaloca.blogspot.com). btw, we have a few poet-friends in common, one of them being joseph legaspi. :)

Popular Posts