Confession Tuesday

Happy Confession Tuesday. And now, on with the show!

I confess, I am most pleased about making changes to my dining room.





I. Love. My. Blue. Wall.

I love that Ella picked out the color and after we painted she said, "You're welcome." (And she was snarky about it, which I loved.)

I love that both kids helped paint the room, a little.

I love that the wall color is Cordon Bleu, but we call it (New England) Patriots Blue.

And I love love love my art project now hanging on the wall.

Last year, I found these terrific plastic coasters with pictures of letters from outdoor signs at The Roost in Salem. It was love a first sight--I knew I had to have the whole alphabet! So I painted a large canvas and mounted the letters with Gorilla Glue. Voila!

Yes, it's taken me a year to put my vision together, but it was well worth the wait.

I can't help but notice the little imperfections throughout, but I don't mind. I find them comforting in a way.

Feels great to pick a direction and go.

****
"She's crafty. She gets around."

****

I start teaching Creative Writing and Craft of Fiction today. Looking forward to getting back into the classroom, but already I feel myself straining to keep myself balanced in this run-up before the festival. My friend, Michael, says I need to lower my standards. Says I have to get comfortable doing a good-enough job with a lot of things. But my instinct tells me I should complete one or two things at a time and do them well.

Doesn't matter what I do. Something or someone will get short shrift. Usually, I'm the one who is cheated out of a little time. The real trick is being comfortable with it.

****
For many years, my mantra was, "It is what it is." Can't tell you how many long hours and late nights those words got me through. I may be returning to them again very soon.

****

I wrote my first poem for the new year and it's about rocks. Next poem will be about color for the Improbable Places Poetry Tour.

****

Congrats to Sharon Olds for wining the T.S. Eliot award! Thrilled she is coming to Massachusetts Poetry Festival in May.

Comments

Anonymous said…
"It is what it is" -I've used that.

Though my favorite is "do what you can with what you have, where you are" -Theo Roosevelt (so they say)

That wall looks fantastic!

Popular Posts