Confession Tuesday

Happy Tuesday, folks. Share a little of yourself with us and we promise to do the same.


Despite a brisk morning workout, I was feeling pretty blah today until I walked through the heavy wooden door at the Salem Athenaeum. I instantly felt lighter. I spent the morning sitting around a large, wood table with a few friends who have come to work on various projects. We work in silence.

Writing is mostly solitary work so it's nice to work together alone.

****

Have you ever written so much work that you don't have time to stop and revise?

The two writers retreats that I attend this summer really helped me to create a space so that I can write more easily. And after a week or two of settling into the new school year, I'm writing at a frenetic pace. But now I have poem drafts backing up. It's a little overwhelming to have some much stuff to work on. I'm afraid if I stop working on new work, that well will dry out.

One thing I have noticed is that my style of writing is changing. A little less circular, slightly more lyric. Still unclear to me where all of it will end up. But if I were to stop today, I would have enough poems for my third manuscript. Scary.

****

After chatting with one of my poet friends who is going through the same thing--writing lots of work but not revising--what I think I will do is take time this weekend to get caught up. Our new campus library is open and stunningly beautiful. It also has a coffee bar. The perfect space for me to craft new work.

****

Another good week of classes. Students seem to be engaged, which makes my job so much easier. Who knows how long it will continue.

As for me, my to-do list is manageable. The kids are good. I'm working out, eating well (mostly), could get a little more sleep. Life is good.



Comments

Popular Posts