Hoodie


OMG! OMG! OMG! Here I am in The New York Times Magazine next to John Legend! Well, not me so much as my poem, "Hoodie," which was selected by Rita Dove for this week's NYTimes Magazine.

Can't tell you how much this little poem means to me. It is my Alex poem, and it addresses a fear I share with many people of color about the safety of our kids, children of color in particular. Seems more relevant now then when I wrote it. He's 15 and looks more adult and child. When I say "be careful" as he leaves the house, it's not him I'm worried about--it's everyone else.

Needless to say, I'm very thankful that Rita picked Hoodie. She's always been an inspiration for me so it just means that much that this poem will reach a wider audience.

It's like John Legend sat down to read my poem!

Comments

Popular Posts