Confession time (and it's not even Tuesday): I make these damn lists and never read the books on them. Can't use the kids as an excuse anymore like I'm so used to doing. *smile* I mean, there are 162 Red Sox and 82 Boston Celtics regular season games. And the playoffs ... forgetaboutit!
For 2009, I have decided to shop from my bookshelves and read the things I've put off reading for years. These books are collecting dust on my bookshelves. Now in theory, I have a reasonable chance of reading one title a month. Notice there are no poetry books here. That list is really more fluid for me. And while I devour poetry books, I'm playingt catch-up from the 2008 Dodge Poetry Festival.
So there are 13 books with space for two recommended ones. I should do a midyear check-up to revise this list. But if I get through eight titles, I'll consider this year in books a success.
2009 Book List
1. Another Bullsh*t Night in Suck City, Nick Flynn (2008 carryover)
2. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou (classic fiction)
3. Brothers and Keepers, John Edgar Wideman (nonfiction)
4. In Cold Blood, Truman Capote (classic fiction)
5. A Personal History, Katherine Graham (autobiography)
6. Graceland, Chris Albani (fiction)
7. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee (classic fiction)
8. 100 Years of Solitude, Gabriel Garcia Marquez (classic fiction)
9. Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, David Sedaris (nonfiction)
10. Secret Life of Oscar Wao, Junot Diaz (fiction)
11. White Teeth, Zadie Smith (fiction, a re-read for me)
12. Zami: A New Spelling of My Name, Audre Lorde ("biomythography")
13. Themes for English B, J.D. Scrimgeour (nonfiction)
14. Need suggestion (something fun)
15. Need suggestion
So, what's on your book list for the New Year?