Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Confession Tuesday

Happy Tuesday, folks. Share a little of yourself with us and we promise to do the same.

Despite a brisk morning workout, I was feeling pretty blah today until I walked through the heavy wooden door at the Salem Athenaeum. I instantly felt lighter. I spent the morning sitting around a large, wood table with a few friends who have come to work on various projects. We work in silence.

Writing is mostly solitary work so it's nice to work together alone.


Have you ever written so much work that you don't have time to stop and revise?

The two writers retreats that I attend this summer really helped me to create a space so that I can write more easily. And after a week or two of settling into the new school year, I'm writing at a frenetic pace. But now I have poem drafts backing up. It's a little overwhelming to have some much stuff to work on. I'm afraid if I stop working on new work, that well will dry out.

One thing I have noticed is that my style of writing is changing. A little less circular, slightly more lyric. Still unclear to me where all of it will end up. But if I were to stop today, I would have enough poems for my third manuscript. Scary.


After chatting with one of my poet friends who is going through the same thing--writing lots of work but not revising--what I think I will do is take time this weekend to get caught up. Our new campus library is open and stunningly beautiful. It also has a coffee bar. The perfect space for me to craft new work.


Another good week of classes. Students seem to be engaged, which makes my job so much easier. Who knows how long it will continue.

As for me, my to-do list is manageable. The kids are good. I'm working out, eating well (mostly), could get a little more sleep. Life is good.

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails