Poetry Action Plan 2017
















Creating a Poetry Action Plan (PAP) is simple:

  • Define your goals
  • Be realistic about what can be achieved
  • Track your progress
  • Prepare for setbacks BUT be open to opportunities

Unfortunately, my 2016 plan went up in flames.

Even though nothing went according to plan, I swear by this way of thinking. I’m a goal-oriented person. The older I get, the more intentional I am about how I spend my time. More important, none of us knows what will happen with the new administration. I have to stay connected to what's important to me.

I don’t have any idea how artists will be called upon. I worry about federal funding sources for creatives drying up. I worry about poets, writers, artists, and adjuncts—those of us who don’t make a ton of money—losing out on vital services and resources. I’m holding onto the idea, however, that taking care of myself and my writing life will help bolster me in all parts of my life. If I can balance my energy and resources, I should have enough for the people in my life and my community to do whatever I am called on to do.

That being said, here’s how I did in 2016:

This exercise forced me to take a good hard look at what I accomplisheded in 2016, and what I hope to do for the New Year.

In 2016, I ...


  1. Found a home for my next book. CavanKerry Press will publish Rewilding in 2018!
  2. Publish in journals and magazines regularly. Mixed success.
  3. Continue to support Misery Islands. I guess I did this. Even through my most difficult time, I continues to do readings and take on projects.
  4. Take up yoga. Yoga? What's that?

I’m being too hard on myself because I did go to The White House.


*BOOM*


In 2017, I will:


  1. Write a poem a week. I’ve written four. So far, so good.
  2. Send out a submission once a week. Haven’t sent out anything yet.
  3. Only take on writing projects that have meaning for me. I am trying to be more selective about how I spend my time.
  4. Yoga!

Here are my past plans for 2015 and 2016.

Good luck creating your Poetry Action Plan for 2017!

Comments

Nin Andrews said…
Yoga!
Can't wait to read your new book!
January said…
Thanks, Nin! I really need to get into a yoga class.

drew said…
So happy to see you back in blog action!
January said…
I'm trying! Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

Popular Posts