Postcard from Washington D.C.


Hello from D.C.! This was my view this morning as I walked from Le'Infant Plaza to the National Gallery of Art. Yes, D.C. is still digging out in some spots--lots of schools this morning had two-hour delays. The sidewalks and streets are clear, so life is slowing getting back to normal in our nation's capitol.

I'm sitting in Busboys & Poets at one of their work/eat stations. I think I'll just give you my impressions of the trip so far in quick hits/random thoughts. Here we go!


*First, I've been so busy this week that I haven't been able to respond to blog posts or visit blogs. I'm sorry. Hope to catch up over the weekend.

*I'm sitting family style at a table where people are eating and working. It's a little weird eating and working over my laptop with a table full of people doing the same thing. That being said, I had a Caesar salad.

*That was my mini-lunch. I'm meeting my friend Theron at Ben's Chili Bowl for the real deal. Ben's Chili Bowl is a local institution, and a favorite spot of our current president. I hope to catch up with Nizam, the owner's son who now runs the restaurant. Haven't seen him since our early 20s.

*Picked up a copy of John Murillo's Up Jump the Boogie and the anthology Full Moon on K Street: Poems about Washington D.C.

*Wonder how many poets are actually here at Busboys & Poets. I seem to be surrounded by law students.

*Last night's reading for INTERSECTIONS went well. It was a small but attentive crowd of listeners. Afterward, there was a Q&A with myself, host Fred Joiner, and fellow reader Kathi Morrison-Taylor.

*Each reading series has its own uniqueness and flair. Can't say enough about the Q&A. I liked that added element. We spend so much time reading that we overlook the value of talking about process.

* We spent a good amount of time bringing Lucille Clifton into the room. I didn't realize how accessible she was to the local poetry community around the metro D.C. area. Her loss is especially palpable here.

*Tonight I'm reading at at the Hillyer Open Mic Event (HOME). International Arts & Artists, 9 Hillyer Court NW, Washington, D.C. Sign up early, performances start at 7. Should be a lively crowd.

*Will talk about my experience at the National Gallery of art in a separate post.

* I feel a poem coming on ...

Comments

Jessie Carty said…
i am in awe of that busboy and poets place!
evelyn.n.alfred said…
Glad to hear the reading went well, wish I could have heard about the writing process. I love it when authors/poets discuss their process during a book reading/signing.

I'll have to catch you when there's less snow on the ground to contend with. Will you be coming back during the spring?
January said…
Thanks Evelyn. I'll be in Baltimore for the Citylit festival in mid-april. Will let you know more details when I have them.

Since you're having a stretch of warm weather, I bet all that snow will be gone by the end of this week. Hang in there.
January said…
Jessie, maybe you should check out Split This Rock in March. But whenever you get to DC, definitely go to Busboys & Poets.

Popular Posts