Reading with Afaa

(Afaa Michael Weaver, J.D. Scrimgeour, and me)

Afaa and I spent Thursday afternoon at Salem State with one of J.D.’s classes. It was my first time participating in a classroom visit, which was cool and weird at the same time. I’m so used to being on the planning end of things that it takes a bit to make the switch, I think. But I really enjoyed the back and forth. The students asked very insightful question, everything from whom to read to our writing processes.


The weather was awful that evening, surprising that anyone came out to hear us read. But we had a terrific crowd, maybe 80 people. I was thrilled when my portion of the evening was over because I could relax and listen to Afaa read his beautiful poems, some from a new manuscript. He’s so kind and warm, and genuinely interested in hearing what you have to say.


Then on Friday, I spent time with two classes. Lots of thoughtful questions on craft, as well as more talk on process. Thanks to J.D., Kevin Carey, and the other professors who encouraged their students to ask questions during the visit.

Comments

Jessie Carty said…
i'm going to speak to a creative writing class today and i'm super excited but i don't really know what to expect!

that is a FANTASTIC turnout for your reading :) Congrats!

Popular Posts