Confession Tuesday

If it’s Tuesday, it’s time to confess. Share a little of yourself with us and we promise to do the same.


After a visit yesterday to the Museum of Science, I took the kids to our local Borders bookstore. Nothing sadder than a closing bookstore, especially a chain bookstore with deep pockets. It was packed with people clamoring for books priced at 20-30 percent off. Went to the poetry section and didn’t see anything I had to have—mainly because our Borders stocked the shelves with books by dead poets. But the kids, on the other hand, walked out with nearly the entire series of The Adventures of Captain Underpants books. Between Underpants and the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series (both very fun collections), I’m all set with kid-lit. I must start reading books for adults.


After reading Captain Underpants, my kids’ new favorite word is “inappropriate.” We have had long conversations about what we can say in public and in private. Most of it centering on potty talk. *sigh*


****


This past Saturday, I did a lot of work for the Massachusetts Poetry Festival (the festival is May 13-14, in case you haven’t heard.). An intrepid group of volunteers went out in downtown Salem to sign up sponsors, and I’m happy to say we have some solid leads. But it was a blustery cold day, and not every shop owner was receptive to us. My friend Kevin said he felt like Willy Lowman out there. Ugh. I can’t imagine what it must be like to be a full-time fundraiser.

Guess you can do anything for something you believe in.


****


Later, I spend a few hours with Jennifer Jean and J.D. Scrimgeour trying to wrap our heads around festival programming. There will be so much activity over the two days that it’s hard to wrap my head around everything. But I do know it will be dynamic and exciting weekend of poetry and community. And I can’t believe I’m in the middle of it all—how did that happen?


****


Sent off my scholarship application to take a weeklong workshop at the Fine Arts Work Center in Provincetown. Woo hoo! Just felt good to get the application in the mail. A week focused on nurturing my creative self? I need this workshop like plasma.


****


I was hoping to start my 15-minute free writes last week, but that didn’t happen. Oh well, this is a new week; I will make the free writes a priority. Even bought a new journal as added incentive.


****


The universe is calling to me, and I am listening.

Comments

Popular Posts