Confession Tuesday

Happy Confession Tuesday! Share a little of yourself with us and we promise to do the same.


I have been thinking about writing this blog post since 4 a.m. but wasn't ready to write it until I walked through the door and saw the very large birthday posters my kids made for me.








My son wrote Gwendolyn Brook's "We Real Cool" on his poster. Alex and Ella have the poem memorized. If you ever run into them, ask them to recite it for you.

For some reason, Alex put a sticker of a nail next to the poem. Not sure why ... but OK.

****

I will be 44 on Thursday, in case you're wondering.

****

The beautiful and talented Colleen Michaels was interviewed by the Boston Globe today, Yahoo! The article spotlights the latest latest Improbable Places Poetry Tour, which was AWESOME. (I'm quoted in the piece. Check it out!)

****

Classes are in full swing, Massachusetts Poetry Festival planning is picking up speed, and AWP is just around the corner. Unlike last year, however, I feel like I have things under control. Now if I can just find time to start my latest poetry project. I've written and revised one poem this week but it's not enough. I have to make time to do more.

Of course, we did just make it through a blizzard, so I'm giving myself a break on the writing.

****

Last week, I had lunch with the beautiful and talented Erin Dionne. We were both lamenting over our busy lives and the so-called work-life balance (again). In the conversation, I was reminded how much we all focus on "What's next?" instead of "What's Now?" So instead of making a To-Do List, Erin made a Did-Do List, made up of all the people and things she's met and accomplished since she began writing. This type of list instantly put things in perspective.

So tonight, after the kids are in bed and my work is done, I will be making a Did-Do List. Whenever I need an "atta girl," or just a reminder that I am making progress on my goals, I can look back on this list with pride. It's a list FMBM (for me, by me).

Comments

Popular Posts