I'm new to the meme thing, so forgive me if this one is old news.
With Poetry Thursday just a few days away, I'm using the meme as a writing prompt to limber up.
1. Take five books off your bookshelf.
2. Book #1 -- first sentence
~ Different Hours, Steven Dunn
3. Book #2 -- last sentence on page 50
~ Money, A Memoir, Liz Perle
4. Book #3 -- second sentence on page 100
~ Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, David Sedaris
5. Book #4 -- next to the last sentence on page 150
~ Guerrilla Marketing for Free, Jay Conrad Levinson
6. Book #5 -- final sentence of the book
~Hip Logic, Terrance Hayes
7. Make the five sentences into a paragraph:
Sunsets, incipient storms, the tableaus of melancholy--maybe these are the Saturday night-events to take your best girl to. In September 1958, credit cards arrived uninvited in the mailboxes of some sixty thousand residents of Fresno, California.
"Well, I didn't say it to him," my father said.
But I'm hoping you'll overlook this indiscretion on my part and let me off the hook because this idea is so winning and so simple. If you ever tell my story, say that's the year I was born.
Okay. Interesting. So what's on your bookshelf?
Thanks to The Daily Meme.