Brand New Day



This is my favorite recent kid pic, taken with my iPhone at the Dollar Store. Figured that if I took the picture, I wouldn't get sucked into buying something they'll never play with again.

****

Thanks for the love and support. I really do appreciate it, more than you know.

****

Have you seen this article from the New Yorker asking the question, "Should creative writing be taught?" Here's an excerpt:


"Creative-writing programs are designed on the theory that students who have never published a poem can teach other students who have never published a poem how to write a publishable poem. The fruit of the theory is the writing workshop, a combination of ritual scarring and twelve-on-one group therapy where aspiring writers offer their views of the efforts of other aspiring writers."
As a product of a creative writing program, I honed my skills to become a better writer. Being in a workshop setting gave me the time and space to grow and develop as a poet and editor, skills that I use everyday in my professional life. And the connections I made in the program are priceless. But these programs are not for everyone.

What do you think about this article, and the teaching of creative writing in general?

****

It's 56 degrees and overcast in Boston. How's the weather in your neck of the woods?

Comments

Odessa said…
its 58 and drizzling here in SF but i'm trying not to whine about it :)

it's a brand new day indeed...
January said…
Hope the weather is improving in SF. Finally, the clouds broke this afternoon and it reached 72 in Boston.

Popular Posts