The State of the State

RIP Seamus Heaney.

The Poetry Foundation has a beautiful remembrance by Tom Sleigh on its website.

****

The world seems a little quieter, a little less interesting, when a poet leaves this earth.

****

My article on The State on Poetry is on Mass Poetry's wesbite.

In my article, I make reference to another poem with these lines: There are moments when even the most experienced poet notices a wrinkle in the fabric of normalcy. Seamus is trending on Twitter and Facebook. Rightfully so. We are experiencing one of those wrinkles, folks, when poetry is present in our collective consciousness. And maybe that's his parting gift to us.

Comments

Thomas D said…
Seamus Heaney was the first living poet I ever read, his Field Work the third book of poetry I ever bought (after Eliot's Quartets and Rimbaud's Illuminations). At 15, a friend and I heard him read at Boston College. His "Glanmore Sonnets" remain among my favorite poems of the language. I was very saddened to learn of Mr Heaney's passing, and I know I wasn't the only one. RIP.
January said…
Thanks for sharing your story, Thomas. Sad news, indeed.
January said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular Posts