Confession Tuesday

Happy Tuesday, folks. Share a bit of yourselves today and we promise to do the same.


I'm writing a poem a day and so far I'm keeping up. Not easy to do, because I'm working on a sonnet crown. What is a sonnet crown, you ask? It is 15 sonnets. Poems 1-14 use the last line of the previous poem as the first line of the next poem. Poem 15 uses all the lines in the poem. My sonnets are Petrarchan, and--so far--have terrible rhymes and very little meter. My goal was to write them and fix them later.

In these poems, I'm telling the story of Juno Larcom a slave who lived in Beverly, MA. She had 12 children (11 survived). When some where sold into slavery, she sued for her freedom--you could do that in Massachusetts. She eventually won, but lived and worked for her slaveowners for the rest of her life. Just a fascinating story.

I've been reading Marilyn Nelson's Emmett Till poems for inspiration.

****

I just reread my sonnet crown--which feels like a paper hat, not a crown--Ugh

****

The beautiful and talented Nin Andrews interviewed me for CKP's Website.

****

Writing a poem a day is the one thing that throws me off of my sleep cycle. I'm in a terrible pattern where I go to bed at 1 a.m. and wake up exhausted. Tonight is one of those nights, so I'm keeping this post short and sweet. Good night.

Comments

Popular Posts