Confession Tuesday

Happy Tuesday, folks. You tell me your secrets, and I'll tell you mine.

****

I've been thinking about my next creative move. During the past three years, I've changed jobs, started teaching, helped run a major festival, published a book with a second on the way--and I don't know what I should be doing next?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy and grateful for all of it. I've finally found work that is truly in line with my values. I'll take this life any day of the week and twice on Sunday. But in terms of a poetry career and my "never settle" attitude, I'm wondering what's next for me. How do I keep that creativity flowing? I'm staying open to any and all possibilities.

I don't feel stuck or stalled. But I do feel as if I'm idling in neutral, which is like nowhereland for me. I should be doing something but what? What? What?

UPDATE: I read this post and laughed. But #7 made me feel better. And #24. (Warning: lots of swearing in the post so don't take it out on me.)

****

I started a longer post about being a career poet but pulled it. A topic for another time.

****

One big rejection from a major journal was softened with an acceptance to another last week. Go figure.

****

The contraction of the publishing industry concerns me. Specifically, I wonder about poetry's ability to adapt to new markets. We should be working on taking advantage of industry changes as a collective. Poets should be working with publishers more closely to create more sustainable models and markets.

****

The kind folks at Penguin sent me Rita Dove's The Penguin Anthology of Twentieth-Century American Poetry. Now I get to see what all the fuss it about.

****

This week we're taking off for Virginia for a visit home. So looking forward to traveling with Alex and Ella. They're older now, so much easier to get around with them. Honestly, the water is just too cold in New England for me to enjoy swimming. We're looking forward to spending a day or two at the beach, without rocks or sharks.

****

Today, Alex said, "School starts in two weeks, mom." Ugh. Summer is almost over. *sigh*

Comments

Popular Posts