Confession Tuesday

It's the Confession Tuesday before Christmas,
and all through the land,
every poet was writing,
counting meter and iambs.

I could go on, but I won't. On to confessions ...


At the poetry writing retreat I attended this past weekend, everyone adopts a mug for the duration their stay. It saves on water and is just less work for the staff.

Do you remember Charlie, the cologne from the 70s? Shelley Hack was the Charlie Girl, showing off her 70s flair in the commercials. I can sing the jingle. Anyhoo, this Charlie mug was mine for the weekend. The line at the bottom reads, "Here's to independence." I don't know, something about this mug made me smile the whole weekend. And, I like that Kevin Carey is in the background of the photo.

****

My heart goes out to the victims, families, first responders, and community of Sandy Hook, CT. While we were at the poetry retreat, these are the poems we kept coming back to for comfort and some measure of understanding.

"The Times," by Lucille Clifton
"In the Loop," by Bob Hicok
"Rock Me, Mercy," by Yusef Komunyakaa

And this poem brought comfort to me but is not the right poem for everyone, Yehuda Amichai's, "God Has Pity on Kindergarten Children." It's a subtle poem, and if you understand Amichai, you know that he wrote from a place of compassion. It may not be the right poem for now but it was (is) the right poem for me.

****

Today, I am grading, working on Mass Poetry projects, and going to my workshop tonight. The goal is to finish the grades tomorrow, before my parents come into town for the holidays. Then it will start to feel like Christmas.

****

Makes me want to put on my silk pantsuit and go for a stroll!

Comments

Popular Posts