'Because you know I'm all about that bass, bout that bass ..."

"No treble."

****

The kids have just come back from a weeklong vacation with their dad, and what's the first thing they wanted to do when  they arrived home? See their friends, of course. So I'm Starbucking this afternoon while they are having kid time. Can't say I'm sad about that, but it does feel weird. They'll be plenty of time this week to hang out before school starts--that's what I keep telling myself.




That pretty little chapbook is Afaa Michael Weaver's A Hard Summation,  just published by Central Square Press. This 13-poem collection details what it means to be Black and American, spanning the Middle Passage until now. It's a strong offering. Afaa's work calls me to go a little deeper with  my own.

Here's a review.

****

Poetry books I'm looking forward to reading, in no particular order:

City of Eternal Spring, by Afaa Michael Weaver
Copia, by Erika Meitner
Post Subject, by Oliver de la Paz
Citizen, by Claudia Rankine

****

Enjoy the weekend!


Comments

Popular Posts