Poetry Action Plan 2019
OMG, is it time for a Poetry Action Plan? Why, yes. Yes it is!
What, you may ask, is a Poetry Action Plan, or PAP?
It is a road map for how to think about your writing life. I have created a plan for the past 11 years and it has served me well--even in the years when I didn't think I needed a plan.
There are four steps to creating a PAP.
1. Define your goals. What is most important to you as a writer?
2. Be realistic about what can you achieve.
3. Track your progress.
4. Prepare for setbacks BUT be open to opportunities wherever they appear.
And if I had to add a fifth step, I’d say don’t be too hard on yourself for not accomplishing a goal.
As I have mentioned, Last year, after dealing with the death of my ex-husband at the end of 2016, I was just trying to stay above water. We were used to our little system of pick ups and drop offs. And while I never thought I had enough time, I really missed (and still miss), the balance of another parent, for everything from child care to having another voice in the room. But I managed, somehow, to get a few things done.
In 2019, I will:
- Get ready to move to Mississippi! I had this as last on my list, but really, this is Job 1. The kids and I are moving this summer to Ole Miss for nine months. So all of my energy is going to making the transition as smooth as possible. *Gulp*
- Write a poem a week. I didn't write very much in 2018. It was painful not writing, but I just never found my groove. This is just a part in the evolution of my process, I tell myself as I wallow in a pool of self pity. But, it's time to get back to basics.
- Submit to eight top-tier journals. Believe it or not, I sent poems to three journals. Still waiting to hear back from two. I was asked to submit a few places. Admittedly, I regret not writing or sending out in 2018. Won't make that mistake again.
- Help Rewilding find the widest audience possible. See my last post.
- Laugh more.
Normally, I would add squishy goals to my realistic ones. But moving to Mississippi is a huge challenge. I'm really seeking a balance between good and bad stress. What things can I put aside to make time for the things that really matter?
Good luck with your PAP!