Fish Plate


Yesterday, I was at my mother-in-law's house clearing away some items when she came across this fish plate. Odd, isn't it? The set includes at least 10 smaller dinner plates and maybe a serving dish or two.

At first I thought I'd post the pictures on EBay. But my husband has since fallen in love with them. *sigh* He wants to display them in the house. *big sigh*

***The following is from Mr. Poet Mom.***

The plates were hand painted on Austrian made china by my Aunt Alice's first cousin Catherine in the early 1920s. The cod, as everyone knows, played a significant role in developing and sustaining the American economy when it was just starting out. It greatly impacted the fishing, trading, boat building, and
import/export industries.

***End Mr. Poet Mom's commentary****

No one in the family thinks that's a cod. In fact, anatomically we're not sure what kind of fish it is. But I guess we're keeping the set. I'm all for honoring tradition, but really, where am I going to display a fish plate?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am so excited you are a new PT columnist! I will actually go there and read it on days other than Thursday now! Yeay!
Sky said…
on the wall of HIS bathroom!

:D
angie said…
You know what? I really like that platter! It's so different and cool and full of personality. I wouldn't display them, I'd use them!
Anonymous said…
I have a fear of fish-related dinnerware. Someone gave us a Gurgling Cod pitcher for a wedding gift--it's SO SCARY. It's a fish-shaped pitcher that gurgles at you when you pour the water. It's WRONG, I tell you. WRONG.

Do you want it...to go with the scary plates?
January said…
Erin ... tempting. NOT!

Would you like my fish plates to justify the gurgling cod pitcher?

Popular Posts