First Snow















The first snow of the season has taken us all by surprise. The forecast didn't call for flurries, but it's been snowing all day. There's a half-inch on the ground, at least.

Sunday's high temp: 54 degrees.

****

This weekend, we have multiple kid sleepovers happening. Craziness.

****

A few days ago, I took a look at my list of published poems for this year, and I was shocked at how few acceptances I have. Clearly, publication has not been my focus. Five journals have taken my work in 2012. Granted, one journal took 10 poems, and another took three. But still, I don't have a lot to show for myself.

In general, I've tried to keep work in circulation with three or four journals at a time. But I don't think I've sent out to more than 25 journals this year. It's not about the numbers; yet, it is about the numbers. More than half of the poems from my second book have been published. I don't send work out on autopilot, however. I research. I query my poet-friends who have had success with certain pubs. And I send when time allows. I feel like I have a relatively good success rate considering how little I send out.

I do have new poems ready to send, so maybe I can get them in the mail, or submit electronically, by year's end. We'll see if I can double the number of acceptances in 2013.

****

A little later, the tree goes up, cookies in the oven, and a fire in the fireplace. My dining room is going through a makeover, which is taking up a lot of space in my brain.

****

I'm also thinking about the next poem I want to write, which is another good space to inhabit.

****
Now on iTunes: "All the leaves are brown, and the sky is gray. I've been for a walk on a winter's day."

Comments

Nin Andrews said…
I haven't been sending out as much either. Trying to finish a manuscript mostly . . . But still, it's kind of discouraging . . .

And here, too, we've had a little snow (not in the past few days) and I am hoping for more-- I hope it doesn't wait until AWP . . .
January said…
It's so hard to stay motivated about submitting my work. But I will make an effort next year.

Speaking of next year, can't wait to see you at AWP!

Popular Posts