Starbucking

After a long morning of yard work, I feel I have earned an afternoon at Starbucks. It's a warm and sunny day outside, so not crowded at all. I have a great table by the window. I may take over a second spot to really spread out. Or not.

"The Girl From Ipanema" is playing over my head. I think it's the Diana Krall version.

****

I'm tweaking a recently written poem so I can send it out in a batch for publication. Also, I'm revising manuscript #2. The work continues.

****

Books/publications I have brought with me for inspiration:

  • Claudia Emerson, Late Wife
  • Aimee Nezhukumatathil, Lucky Fish
  • Erika Meitner, Makeshift Instructions for Vigilant Girls
  • Nikky Finney, Head Off & Split
  • And the most recent issues of APR, Poetry, and P&W
****

If you haven't picked up the latest issue of Poetry, check out the photography and words of Thomas Sayers Ellis. Brilliant.

Admittedly, I don't read Poetry often but I was surprised to see a piece by Nikki Giovanni. Very cool.

Comments

Martha Silano said…
I admire how you keep at it, January, esp. during the summer months when it's tempting to give up the Starbucking. Good for you, and thanks for sharing what you're reading. Off to check out the new issue of Poetry!
Thomas D said…
I must agree, January -- the photographs in the new Poetry are excellent!

Best of luck with your revisions!

Popular Posts