Confession Tuesday

Happy Tuesday, folks. Share and share alike.

****


My current reads:

Someone Else's Wedding Vows by Bianca Stone. (Gosh, I studied with her grandmother.)
The Big Smoke by Adrian Matejka
Rice and The World Is Round by Nikky Finney (re-released by TriQuarterly/Northwestern).
Not pictured: The Gift by Lewis Hyde

These titles, with the exception of The Gift, are random picks I made this weekend. But as I think about these titles, I realize that they all connect to the work I'm doing now with my fourth (yes, I said fourth manuscript), so it's no wonder I was attracted to these books.

First of all, I'm thrilled to have the chance to read Nikky Finney's older work. At the last Dodge Festival, she spoke about how difficult it was to get her early titles into the hands of readers because of distribution issue. And I like to see how a writer's voice changes over time. So often we look at one poem or one collection as the definitive work of a poet. But an artist grows and develops over the span a career. Can't think of anything better to do this summer than study--really study--Nikky's work.

I should have bought Adrian Matekja's book last year. But it comes to me at a good time as I try to figure out how to write about a historical figure in poetry. In truth, I'm hoping to glean something from Nikky's and Adrian's books that I can use in my work.

Carolee recommended Bianca Stone's book, she was right. I like what Bianca's doing with form. She has a strong voice and an ear for language.

I'm stealing something from all of you, poets.

****

Mass Poetry's Poetry on the T campaign is in full swing on IndieGoGo! Even the smallest donation will help us replace ads on Boston's transit system with poetry. Donate today!

****

I'm reviewing first page proof for Misery Islands. Yahoo!

****

Last week I met with a few friends to workshop a few poems, and it seems as if we all had been experiencing a bit of bad energy lately. Our little group has been the recipients of multiple rejections. Maybe it has more to do with time of year, but back-to-back-to-back rejections will shake anyone's confidence, no matter how experienced a writer. Here's hoping the energy shifts in our favor sooner rather than later.


Comments

Popular Posts