Home

We're back from our trip to Norfolk, Virginia. My parents were thrilled to see Alex and Ella. And we were grateful for the extra sets of hands to watch the kids. There were times when my husband would turn to me and say, "Listen to the quiet. I can hear myself think."

There comes a point when your childhood home becomes the place you visit on vacation. And your parents, who were once the people you saw every day, become a link to the past. It's hard for my parents to see me as anything other than their little girl. And I have trouble relating to them as individuals. Still, we love each other and accept each other for who we are. At least we try to ...

It took less than 24 hours for my mom to point out that I've gained a little weight in the middle. I knew the moment was coming, I just didn't know when it would hit. And she's right, I have. After Ella, the weight came off, but my stomach has not flattened out like I had hoped. Also, it didn't help that I stopped exercising to focus on poetry and the blog in April and May.

I guess it comes down to what's important. I needed those months to focus on my writing. Something had to go, so I was happy to stop working out--I hate it. Time management is supposed to be about making time for what's important, and doing what you like. But now I have to find time for workouts and treadmills and crunches, oh my!

So, I'm home planning time to get in shape. *sigh* Well, if I get stuck for motivation, having my mom's disapproving voice in my head is enough for me. All things considered, I'd rather be writing poetry. Or watching the Red Sox. Or both. With 162 games in a season, I've learned to find time for the important stuff.

Comments

Anonymous said…
from one poet to another, i look forward to you future blogs. feel free to visit mine www.juddandjasonspeakout.com
best wishes in all you do
Anonymous said…
I know exactly what you mean about multitasking good intentions...I am often torn between early morning quiet for yoga or for the blank page. In some ways exercise feeds my writing, but it has starved it too!
Jennifer S. said…
I hope you find a form of exercise you really enjoy. I think that's the key. I have completely fallen in love with walking (not on a treadmill!) I also like to challenge myself as a way to stay motivated and I signed up for a walking marathon. I did the breast cancer 3-day a few years ago and it was incredible! Maybe you will find some poetic inspiration along the way?
January said…
Thanks for the inspiration, ladies. Maybe the secret is finding something I like to do. I have considered participating in a charity walk as a goal, and I do like tennis and pilates (tried it once and loved it). So I guess I need to make a decision and commit to it.

Maybe it will feed my writing as well.

*sigh*
Deirdre said…
Thanks for visiting my blog. I've been browsing yours and love what I'm reading. Ah, exercise. I'm trying to get back into some sort of routine too. Life went into a tailspin last year and I haven't been able to pull out of it yet. And really, I'd rather blog too. :)
Annie Jeffries said…
I've just discovered your blog tonight and am so glad. If this is any indication of the enjoyment to come, I am so ready for it.

P.S. I discovered blogging three months ago and the discovered has broadened my already broad beam considerably. So much for exercise. LOL
January said…
Thanks AnnieElf!

I hope there's no relationship between blogging and weight gain :(
claireylove said…
Yay, for writing and happiness! My theory is that when we are happy and fulfilled the weight evens out because comfort eating is eliminated. I let you know how I get on with that theory in practice!
Cate said…
I found you through my favorite photographer, Jennifer, and had to comment: love your site and this refreshing post! As someone who also just returned from a long weekend at my childhood home, I identify with many of the things that you describe. I also appreciate your attitude about writing poetry--good for you for knowing what's important!

It's nice to "meet" you!
January said…
Hi Cate!

Thanks for your kind words. It's nice to meet you, too. Looking forward to visiting your blog later tonight.

Popular Posts