Sunday Scribblings: What’s Your Sign?

Age of Aquarius

When I think about the question, “What’s your sign?,” I think about every 70s sitcom with a laugh track and a bar scene, like Three’s Company or One Day at a Time. The dialogue goes something like this:


Man in bell bottoms and superfly hat: "What’s Your Sign, baby?"

Woman with disco hair at cheesy bar: "Stop sign, baby!" (cue sitcom
laughter)

Man: "Later, sweet thang."

Woman: "Later, jive turkey!"


But I digress.

I'm an Aquarian, through and through. I love that we Aquarians have our own song, “Age of Aquarius,” by The Fifth Dimension.

Here’s the video featured at the end of The 40-Year Old Virgin, with Steve Carell and co.



Aquarius, the water bearer, is associated with the constellation of the same name. According to Wikipedia:

Individuals born under this sign are popularly thought to have a modest, creative, challenging, inquisitive, entertaining, progressive, stimulating, nocturnal, and independent character, but one which is also prone to rebelliousness, coldness, erraticism, indecisiveness, and impracticality.


All true, except that I haven’t been nocturnal since B.C. (before children), and impracticality is not in my nature. Maybe I have some other moon rising in my seventh house or something. Oh, and they left out fickle. I have no problem changing my mind on the spur of the moment.

I’ve never paid much attention to star signs, but it sure is fun to occasionally read about Aquarians in the newspaper. I'm always matching up the day's events to what has been predicted for me. And then I think, "How do they know?" (Hee hee hee!)

OK, baby, so what’s your sign?

Comments

Clare said…
The bar scene dialogue is hysterical -- "stop sign" had me laughing! And you're right about that "how do they know" feeling when reading a horoscope -- it is fun and adds to the mystery of life.
:)
Anonymous said…
That was such a good intro to the topic.

Aquarius are diplomats, so I read somewhere. I get along fine with them. Fire and air, you see!!!
Rethabile said…
Exactly. How do they know? And why do different newspapers have different predictions for the same sign?

That's the JC Superstar song, ain't it?
Tammy Brierly said…
Fun post! I love that song and video piece! LOL
Bob the Frog said…
I'm an aquarius too! And I happened to title my SS post "Age of Aquarius" as well... I think that description fits me pretty well--even the not so nice parts! :) oh well, makes me feel better about them at least, he he.
Writer Bug said…
LOL, I love the three's co reference! Too funny.
Susannah Conway said…
i'm an aquarian through and through too :-) x

Popular Posts