Wednesday, May 07, 2008

What Is Your Favorite Line from a Poem?

"Do what you are going to do, and I will tell about it."

~Sharon Olds, from I Go Back to May 1937

Now, what's your favorite line from a poem?


gautami tripathy said...

“From the complications of loving you
I think there is no end or return.

— from Mary Oliver’s A Pretty Song in Thirst

For now, I can only recall this!

bostonerin said...

"anyone lived in a pretty how town
(with up so floating many bells down)"

- e.e. cummings
anyone lived in a pretty how town

January said...

Erin, I love e.e. cummings. He's one of the poets I first read when I was new to poetry and still remains one of my favorites.

Gautani, I don't know that Mary Oliver poem. I'm going to look it up now. Thanks!

Goodnight, Mom said...

Honestly, the line of a poem I quote the most, no kidding:

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."

-Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost

evie said...

i never thought about this specific question before, but the first thing that came into my head after i read it was these lines:

"come celebrate
with me that everyday
something has tried to kill me
and has failed."

-- lucille clifton's ["won't you celebrate with me"]

i can never stick with a single favorite on anything that matters, but it says a lot that this was my instinctive first choice!

Catherine said...

"I married the way moths marry
I married hard"

Olena Kalytiak Davis - "In Defense of Marriage"

January said...

Kristi, nothing wrong with Frost!

Evie, I don't think "favorite" is the right word, because there are so many. But I do love Ms. Lucille's "Come Celebrate with Me".

Catherine, I don't know that poet--I'll have to look her up.

This is a great question to pose because there are so many international writers I don't know.

geek-betty said...

"I lose sleep doing instead of being"
oh this is me. all of the time.

betty said...

oh darn thats what I get for trying to read two blogs at once haha. I'm sorry.

wrong response for the wrong blog. my favorite quote:
""I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead;
I lift my lids and all is born again.
(I think I made you up inside my head.) "
slyvia plath

Jessica said...

To continue in the Sylvia Plath vein:

"Out of the ash
I rise with my red hair
And I eat men like air."

-- "Lady Lazarus"

January said...

Jessica and Betty, those are great lines. Sylvia Plath is classic.

Another of my favorite lines: "I move to keep things whole." It's from Mark Strand's "Keeping Things Whole." That's how I feel most days.

Jennifer said...

"and I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder"

Lawrence Ferlinghetti, I am Waiting.

Followed closely by:
"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood"

pepektheassassin said...

"Time held me green and dying,
though I sang in my chains like the sea!"

--Dylan Thomas

Ananda said...

"I've known rivers ancient as the world and older than the. flow of human blood in human veins"

The Negro Speaks by Langston Hughes


Related Posts with Thumbnails