Confession Tuesday

Happy Tuesday, folks. Time to fess up! Share a little of yourself with us and we promise to do the same.

****

Recently, I've been hearing the frustration from many of my poet friends who have had their manuscripts repeated rejected, or worse--ignored by publishers and contests.

We've all been there: the little rejection slips that seem to find us months after the deadline date. Many of my peers have abandoned current projects in favor of starting new work. I know some who are absolutely gun-shy when it comes to the process and won't subject themselves to the scrutiny. Publishing is painful and not for the thin-skinned.

It's depressing.
****

I consider myself someone who understands how the system works. I try to stay on top of changes in publishing trends. It doesn't make the submission process any easier for me. I get rejections like everyone else. What trend-watching does for me is help me to realize a balance between what's attainable and what's not.

****

All that being said, I feel I'm on a creative upswing. I feel buoyed by my local writing community with new energy and enthusiasm for the work. Moving toward warmer weather does a lot for improving my mood. I feel like I've been having these conversations with my poet friends and I don't feel alone in my efforts. And, the level of success (and success here is a relative term) we've achieved is notable and rewarding.

A rising tide raises all boats.

****

I wrote a much longer blog post this morning. But after getting the kids off to school and swinging by the grocery store, I thought better of it and whittled it down.

****

Not sure where any of this is coming from. Could be the rain.

 

Comments

Popular Posts