Where We Write From

The topic came up in a listserv discussion. Here are a few pictures of my space.


This is where my current bout of non-writing happens. This is the room that my husband and I decided to turn into an office five years ago. The shades are drawn because we're in close proximity to the neighbors who live behind us. We hear and see everything, which means they can hear and see us.

What you can’t see is a sliding glass door leading to the backyard. The kids are old enough to play while I watch them from my desk. Also not seen is a kids’ desk full of drawings of superheroes and bad guys.

My desk is relatively clean tonight.

The framed football picture about the shelves is my husband’s. Football is the one sport I really can’t watch. Dull. Dull. Dull. Wait, I can’t watch hockey, either.


Books! Books! Books! And a bobblehead of former Red Sox shortstop Nomar Garciaparra (No-Mah!)


This is a promotional piece from the book Urgent Message from Mother: Gather the Women, Save the World. I don’t own the book, but the piece spoke to me. It reads:

WANTED
Everywoman. Home keepers for the Earth. Must keep premises safe for all. Have concern for children’s needs and development, ability to manage resources, resolve conflicts, work collaboratively, ask questions. Listen, and learn from the experience of others, be empathic and act with compassion for the benefit of all, including generations to come.

I also have one next to my desk at work.




Pictured:
1. My iPod and speakers, currently playing “Stitched Up” by Herbie Hancock and John Mayer
2. A sticker that reads, “Kundiman is for lovers”
3. A tile with the Cave Canem barking dog. A friend gave it to me from her travels in Italy.
4. A Starbucks cup with a quote on the back. It reads:

The Way I See It #17

The world bursts at the seams with people ready to tell you you're not good enough. On occasion, some may be correct. But do not do their work for them. Seek any jobs; ask anyone out; pursue any goal. Don't take it personally when they say "no"--they may not be smart enough to say "yes."

~Keith Olbermann

Comments

Goodnight, Mom said…
Oooh, I want that Kundiman sticker!!!
January said…
I can get you one. I know people. Of course, you know the same people.
kj said…
what a great post! i came deflated and i leave inspired...
Writer Bug said…
Cool space! My office is one of the rooms in our new place that needs major renovation. When it's done, I'll be sure to post pics. It is neat to see people's space!
January said…
Bug, I can't wait to see your new space!
Deirdre said…
Good quote - one I have to remind myself about quite often.

Popular Posts