Get Your Poems on!

And happy April Fool’s Day! Even though I continually proclaim that April is not as cruel as March, it’s snowing outside. Go figure.

Is it me, or does it seem as if there are more poem-a-day activities, prompt generators, podcasts, and Twitter poetry now than in years past? Personally, I think there are more readings in April. So maybe after 15 year, National Poetry Month has finally become ingrained in our culture--it's a given rather than an excuse to celebrate poetry. I know I am jam-packed with readings throughout April.

So why am I doing the NaPoWriMo and PAD challenges? Well, let me say up front that If I don’t complete the challenge, I’m not going to beat myself up about it. Between working full time, maintaining a family, and helping plan the Mass Poetry Festival, I am a glutton for punishment. I enjoy my torture served up on a blank sheet of paper daily. But, in a strange way, writing a every day acts as a boundary for me. It allows me to say no to housework, email, TV, etc. because I have something more important to do.

Sadly, I’ve written three poems in 2011—that’s it. So I think I need to impose enough discipline to do this one thing for myself, to reflect on and perfect my craft. The poems generated here will act as a warm-up to projects I’m hoping to work on in the summer. I’ll post as many poems as I can, but reserve the right to hold out on a few if I decide to publish them.

Unlike previous recent challenges that I have not completed, I’m hoping the discipline of writing daily will leave me refreshed and recharged rather than stressed out and, well, sad. I’m looking to all of you for inspiration, encouragement, and camaraderie.

So that’s my plan and I’m sticking to it. Time to get your poems on!

Happy April, folks!

Comments

Popular Posts