Thursday, April 07, 2011

NaPoWriMo 3


I whisper it under my breath like a prayer
as we pass through the front door,
you going in, me coming out,
crowding the threshold
in a game of chicken.
We both have right of way
but neither is willing to yield.
A heart-skipped beat. A bottled misery.
The word ripples from the underground
spring of the diaphragm where a fissure
has opened once again, the trauma
of old love that never heals.
I brace myself for unavoidable contact,
avert the eyes, move through the stiff air
like a cloud wedged between clouds.
Say it, that mantra of the highest order.
I hold my breath as your windbreaker
brushes against my three-quarter length,
my 100 percent wool against your polyester blend.
What more is there to do but go through?
L for loser, double L for lost love.
The Motels had it right,
“Take the L out of lover and it’s over,”
because the body gives up what it no longer needs.
This is how I walk through without looking back.


dylan said...

The Motels! That takes me back to when I was thirteen.

I like the whole poem, but especially the line, "A heart-skipped beat. A bottled misery."

Susan said...

"This is how I walk through without looking back." Ah, without looking back in the moment and to the past. I like your poem "Loser." I could picture it all, and relate.

Jennifer Jean said...

great poem!

Maureen said...

This is very strong, January, especially the ending.

carolee said...

we are on the same page!


Related Posts with Thumbnails