BASH Reading Series









Jericho Brown, Lyrae Van Clief-Stefanon, Thomas Sayers Ellis and Afaa Michael Weaver.

Just when I thought readings couldn't get any better, I went to the BASH Reading Series to hear three amazing poets. Introduced by Afaa, it was my great pleasure to hear Jericho, Lyrae, and TSE read from their most recent works.

Lyrae Van Clief-Stefanon’s latest collection, Open Interval, was a 2009 National Book Award finalist. And her first collection, Black Swan, won the 2001 Cave Canem Poetry Prize.

Thomas Sayers Ellis is cofounder of The Dark Room Collective, and the Whiting award-winning author of The Maverick Room and Skin, Inc.

Jericho Brown is a recipient of the Whiting Writers Award, NEA, Radcliffe, and Bread Loaf fellowships, and the winner of the American Book Award for his first book, Please.

This trifecta had never read together before, so it was great to experience the energy and interplay among these talented poets. While I have heard Jericho and Thomas read, it was my first time hearing Lyrae's poetry. It is strong and dynamic, with layer after layer ready to be revealed. It was clear that all three poets enjoyed the opportunity to share the stage. And as an audience member, I feel as if I was part of something special. Thanks to the folks at BASH for putting together an outstanding lineup.

Comments

Popular Posts