Morning in Massachusetts

Massachusetts is a hard state to love. It’s always cold. Traffic is horrible--don’t get me started on the Big Dig. The cost of living is way too high. Iced tea is a seasonal drink (as if!). And happy hours are illegal (WTF?). But there are some things the state gets right.

Massachusetts overwhelming elected the state’s first black governor, Deval Patrick, last night. He’s only the second black governor to be elected to office in U.S. history.

As a Virginia native, it was my great privilege to vote for the country’s first black governor, Doug Wilder, in 1990.

But today, I am a proud, card-carrying member of the Democratic Party in Massachusetts. I live in a state where hope is the mandate. Congratulations, Deval, on running a successful grassroots campaign. Thank you for not running any negative television ads, and thank you for taking small campaign contributions and not caving to special interest groups.

Now don’t f*ck it up.

P.S. Things I do love about this state: Boston Red Sox, Celtics, and Patriots; it’s a Blue State; it allows gay marriage and will offer heath care to all of its citizens next year; steak tips; the wages are higher, on average, for professional women; and, most importantly, the people. It’s always about the people.

Comments

mareymercy said…
It's a good day to be an American! And I haven't said that in a loooong time...
Writer Bug said…
i love your last line of advice there. A great balance between hope and realism. Very New England of you. :) And yes, this has been an exciting week!
Emily said…
It was a post-election morning with more hope than I can remember in the LONGEST time! And as you, I hope it is not ruined.
Deb R said…
YAY for the good people of Massachusetts for getting a lot of stuff right!!
High Five for us! We did good! I, too, hope things get better....
paris parfait said…
YES! Congrats! I have renewed faith in our country. Now the real work begins - time to show our mettle.

Popular Posts