November Poetry To-Do List

Since Writer Bug started posting her to-do lists online, I've been compelled to do the same. And I have to admit, the public accountability helps keep me on track.

To Do List

This Weekend (well, Sunday)
  • write two poems
  • clean desk
  • read Terrance Hayes' Wind in a Box

Week 3

  • write one poem
  • send poems to one journal/review
  • work on manuscript revisions
  • send revised manuscript to next group of readers
  • read Tony Hoagland's What Narcissism Means to Me

Week 4 (Turkey Week)

  • write one poem
  • send poems to one journal/review
  • Make reservations for AWP conference

Week 5

  • write one poem
  • send poems to one journal/review
  • go to local poetry reading
  • attend Mary Oliver reading (Brookline Booksmith)
  • work on second revision on manuscript
My hope is to get the manuscript in good shape so I can submit it to small presses during their open submission periods. Then I can let it go and start fresh at the beginning of the year.

Also, I need to get involved with my local writing community. I'm a big advocate of being part of the solution and not the problem. I like the idea of starting a writers' group or working on a group project. But I just don't have the time. Still, I have to make an effort to connect with other poets locally.

Comments

kj said…
hello, i hope you don't mind my visit to your blog. i am again impressed with your plan and schedule. i am a writer also. i have no problem writing but lag on sending things out for publication review. i'd welcome any advice on how you stay on top of that.

i am currently doing the noho writing challenge in nov. and loving it.

i'm a fellow new englander....

best wishes, kj
Writer Bug said…
I'm so glad you're into the list thing! It's definitely helping me keep on track. Good luck, and keep us updated!
paris parfait said…
Your organisational skills are inspired! Good for you for taking full advantage of every moment and putting your poetry and writing out there - no excuses! No doubt you are inspiring many others to make the most of their time.
January said…
Hi KJ: Thanks for stopping by. In regards to publishing, I have two motivations.

1. With all of the publications, print and Web, accepting submissions today, I have a hard time believing that I couldn't find a venue for my work. I have in the past, but took a few years off when the kids came. Blogging has given me the energy and courage to send my work out.

2. I live in fear that one day, maybe 20 years from now, my kids will find my journals and say, "I think mom used to write." Or "She wrote a few poems, nothing special." OUCH! So publishing is a way to seal my legacy to my kids. Does that make sense?

Bug: Did you ever know that you're my hero?

Tara: It's a good thing you can't see my house--organization is not the word that comes to mind! But thanks for the kinds words.
January said…
KJ: Here's a follow-up to my follow-up.

I'm trying to send out batches of poems a few times a month. That way, I always have poems out there working for me. And I have no problem with simultaneous submissions. If I happen to have my poem accepted by two different journals, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Popular Posts