Work it!

After reading this post, I was inspired to get my flabby abs into the gym. So I went yesterday afternoon, but I also went this morning at the crack of dawn. Actually, it was well before dawn, 5:15 a.m. to be exact.

Lying in bed this morning, I had a 10-minute debate with myself on why I should leave my warm bed for the gym. And it all came down to this: change doesn’t happen overnight, so why don’t I go and see what I can do today. That’s it. I don’t have to count calories or step on a scale or look in the mirror—all of which are deterrents for me. All I have to do is make today different than yesterday and the rest will take care of itself.

So I did 30 minutes on the cross-trainer machine, and I feel GREAT! I mean, I was happy (still am). The endorphins kicked in with a vengance—good thing because my son was in rare form this morning. But it was okay, because mommy took some “me time” for herself.

What I need to do is create a time map of my day so I can see how I want to spend my day. (A time map is kind of like a budget for your activities.) Otherwise, I won’t get anything done, including my new-found enthusiasm for a healthier lifestyle.

Hope I can stay with morning workouts and evening writing. That would be the cherry on top of a great 2006.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good for you! You're my inspiration this week.

I *will* change from walking the dog to running the dog in the morning.
Anonymous said…
Go, poetmom! I am an exercise freak. I am so cranky if i don't sweat and huff and puff for at least an hour a day. plus, it helps me sleep and deal with some anxiety/mood issues i have. it has been a part of my routine for almost three years now which is the longest i've stuck with almost anything else (except writing). SO, if you ever need motivation, email me!

problem is that I eat when I'm not in the gym or running outside. that means i'm not thin but at least i'm fit. i guess. it's about balance, right? :)
Anonymous said…
All I have to do is make today different than yesterday and the rest will take care of itself.

This is true for so many things.
Deb R said…
Is it wrong that I found the post all inspirational and then got to the bottom and got the giggles because you'd tagged it "flabby abs?" :-D
gkgirl said…
yay....
you have inspired me, too...
i have been thinking the same
thing, that i need to assess
where my time is going
and where i want it to be going!
way to go!
January said…
Carolee, balance is the key. This week I'm balancing turkey with walking later in the day.

Deb, I wasn't sure how to tag this post, so I’m being a bit facetious with the label.

Looking forward to reading your blogs later today. You all inspire me on a daily basis.
paris parfait said…
Like you, I wanted to stay in bed this morning. After all, I'd been up until nearly 2 a.m. But I got up at 7:30 (late compared to you) and got busy and accomplished a lot today. I like your idea of making today different than yesterday - good philosophy. Otherwise it becomes overwhelming (that scale/mirror stuff). Good luck with it all!

Popular Posts