Sunday Scribblings: Kissing

January, During the Warmest Winter Ever

My hand bushes against his elbow,
that bony, unloved part of his
I have never kissed,
and we succumb to our hidden ferocity,
this new growth willing to bloom
even in the deepest shades of winter.
His lanky arm I graze like a tourist
forgoing the mainland
for the southernmost point
with its snowless Christmases
and year-round foliage
I am always visiting
yet cannot call home.
How voracious my craving
for the places I’d never venture
otherwise.


Happy Sunday Scribblings everyone! This poem started with a kiss and then took on a life of its own. I'm still figuring out what it means.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I found your poem on Literary Mama, and I liked it. And, from your scribblings I love the unloved elbow. Cheers to you and your poetry.

From a fellow poet/mom.
Laura Van Prooyen
January said…
Oh wow. I didn't realize the new poem was up. Thanks for stopping by, Laura.
Jerri said…
Delighted to find your blog and your work. Looking forward to more.
Deb R said…
I like this whole poem, Jan, but especially the end..."How voracious my craving for places I'd never venture otherwise." Wow!
Catherine said…
That's a powerful poem. Hope you enjoy the conference
claireylove said…
wow - you're quite an explorer ;-) love those hand descriptions. congratulations on the first poem of the year!
Anonymous said…
Wonderful poem, January! Mapping out new territory...
Laini Taylor said…
That's such a fabulous and fun poem! I love the tying together or body and geography like that.
Becca said…
Congratulations on the first of many) great poems of the year. I really enjoy your imagery here - the "bony, unloved elbow," and "forgoing the mainland for the southernmost point."

My favorite lines:
"we succumb to our hidden ferocity, this new growth willing to bloom even in the deepest shades of winter" - exquisite!
Dani In NC said…
If this wasn't already an unusually warm winter, you made it so with that poem! Good job!
Emily said…
Great poem, I really liked the line, "His lanky arm I graze like a tourist."

Popular Posts