Confession Tuesday: Election Edition


I voted!

I never thought I would see the day when I would have a chance to vote for a Black man. I mean, really. We’ve come a long way as a people, not that we’ve gotten to the Promised Land that Martin Luther King Jr. spoke of, but the fabric of this nation has been forever changed by this historic election.

So what is my confession? In my heart, I am and shall remain a Hillary Clinton democrat. It’s taken me up to this past weekend to jump on the Obama bandwagon. Her experience, her grasp of the issues and economic situation, and ability to work across the aisle would have made her a good president. And because I cannot leave my gender at the door, she is the most qualified woman to ever run for president. While I think Obama could run again in four, eight, or 12 years, when will we see a woman president? (Please don't get me started on Sarah Palin.) I confess that I think the glass ceiling is much harder to break than the color barrier.

But Obama earned this opportunity and earned my trust. When I look at him, I see a clear choice over McCain. I see the opportunity to work with Congress to clean up the economic mess and get back to the surpluses of the '90s. I see a chance to repair our reputation globally. I also see my parents in Virginia, who have always gone the polls an hour before the voting, not just this election, because they remember a time when they did not have the right to vote. And then there are my elderly grandparents in Georgia, who will gladly stand in long lines with everyone else to vote for the Democratic ticket. With any luck, Obama will pick up that traditionally Republican state, too.


I believe that we are one nation. Not a Black America or a White America, but one nation. One people. Today is a moment in time when the United States holds itself up to a mirror to see what it’s made of. Are we ready to confront ourselves, who we really are as a people? But make no mistake—this is not history coming full circle. This day is one stop on a continuum. As a CNN analyst said, in the voting booth, we vote who we are, not necessarily who the candidate is. If that premise is true, then I am a person who believes words matter. I believe in the power of change. And I believe that Barack Obama is not only the right man for the job, he is right man for the times.

****

One last confession: while standing in line, I started to cry. Then when I got to my car, I couldn't stop the tears.

****

What’s your confession today?

Comments

I really hope Obama uses Hillary's skills and knowledge if he is elected. I hope she is appointed to some advisory position.

I felt good about voting for Obama this morning, even tho' I know he hasn't a chance here...and it's cold and snowing. I bought chips and dips and stuff to last throughout what will probably be a long night!
Anonymous said…
Election Day 2008. At the age of 44, I voted for the 44th President of the United States. In this case, my vote was cast for Barack Obama. I stood #17 in line bright and early this morning at the Brown Elementary School in Newburyport feeling particularly proud and honored to have voted at this time in history. I voted for a man who is eloquent, committed to family values, a leader and a man true to his convictions. It just so happens he is a man of color. As I stood outside in the crisp fresh November air, I thought of this quote as I heard it on the radio recently: "Rosa Parks sat so that Martin Luther could stand. Martin Luther stood so that Barack Obama could run. And Barack Obama ran so that we (Americans) could fly." That sums it up for me~progression, sacrafice, honor, and perserverance to get to this very day in history. Amen to that!
Goodnight, Mom said…
Jana,

What an amazing post. You know, I always feel such great pride when I vote. This is a truly monumental election. What a great day for America!

I also love what Heidi said. Very profound quote.

-K
Writer Bug said…
I love that you cried while voting. :)
Jim K. said…
He represents another beaten-down
group lately..those who actually think. There is no comparison:
to "The New Camelot". To the
worthy.
January said…
Amen, Jim! What an exciting night ahead of us. Fingers crossed.
January said…
Bug, voting was more emotional than I thought it would be. And everyone around me was so enthusiastic ... it was nice to see.

How was your voting experience?
January said…
Heidi and Kristi, very well said. Thanks for your kind words.

Heidi, I've heard that quote and love it. Thanks for bringing it to the conversation.
January said…
Oh Joyce, here we are. Yes, let's hope that the issues Hillary brought to the table are addressed.
Unknown said…
Jan, you are always so poignant and down to earth. I, too, was emotional while voting with my seven year old daughter in tow (and even more emotional over the fabulous news of an Obama victory). He's inspired me from the beginning and I hope he accomplishes great things. There is so much promise and possibility with him in the White House.

To JimK...I agree completely with your comment about people who think being beaten-down. We seem to live in a dumbed-down, reality TV society these days. A society where eloquence and intelligence has an increasingly negative connotation. I, for one, am really looking forward to the "New Camelot."

Popular Posts