I, Too

Can’t believe we are at this transformational point in U.S. history. It’s more than two years of campaigning and wondering and hoping. It’s the dream of my family, relatives, and ancestors taking flight. It’s history coming full circle. And here we are on the cusp of change.

This Langston Hughes poem has been on my mind today.


I, Too

I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed—

I, too, am America.

Comments

Cool...

When you heard Joy Harjo, did you see the awesome tattoo on her right hand? I wonder....
January said…
No, I missed the tatoo -- I was too far away. Very cool.
Anonymous said…
Hey! Funny thing, I posted this as well. Langston Hughes was one of the first poets I really fell in love with, and all day yesterday I was thinking of "I, Too" and of Dr. King's "I have a dream" speech... so I thought I'd be a little more original than the rest of the news media/blogosphere and post the Hughes poem, but it looks like I was not quite so original after all!
January said…
Great minds think alike! It's hard not to think of Langston and Dr. King in this historic moment in time.
Anonymous said…
I cannot think of a better poem - or better poet, for that matter - to express this magnanimous moment in history. PERFECT poem pick, J.

Popular Posts