Morning Garden

Jennifer and I are staying at Morning Garden, which, from what I can determine, is an off-the-grid hostel for large groups. Most of the rooms are dormitory style. Since no one is here this weekend, we’re spread out over two rooms with eight beds in each room.



This private estate was built in 1846, and overlooks Freshwater Cove in Gloucester, MA. Believe it or not, vacationers from Boston used to arrive here by stagecoach!



The interior is stuck in the 1960s, but the rooms are spacious and comfortable. The interior shots don’t look that great because of all the dark paneling. Just keep looking at outside photos …. Amazing!





Yesterday, we reviewed my great manuscript and today, her project is up for discussion. I can’t tell you how much I’ve appreciated the one-on-one feedback with a trusted friend and poet.

It rained yesterday afternoon, which became the background noise to our lively poetry conversations. We talked about the revision process, shared poetry books, and took notes on where to submit our work. And yes, there was lots of food all day.


To my great surprise, Morning Gardens has a rec room. Here's a shot of me playing pool! By the end of the day, my head was so full of poetry I had a headache, so it was nice to unwind with a game of 9-ball!



We're going to a local coffee shop to finish our manuscript discussion and to write. I'll have more to say on the revision process, as well as give a recap from the Mark Strand reading, later today.

Comments

Jessie Carty said…
What a beautiful looking trip! And what a beautiful excuse for a trip ;)

my capture code is paper!
evelyn.n.alfred said…
Wow, I bet you come with a lot of nature poems out of this retreat.
Anonymous said…
Heavenly!

Popular Posts