One very important aspect for me is not overcommitting to too many books. I’ll begin researching my next poetry collection soon, so I have a feeling some of my reading will be historical nonfiction.
I really want to read books written by friends, which is 50 percent of this list.
This list will expand after AWP, I’m sure.
Lucky Fish, Aimee Nezhukumatathil
- Crave Radiance, Elizabeth Alexander
- Sonata Mulattica, Rita Dove
- Lucky Fish, Aimee Nezhukumatathil
- Skin Inc, Thomas Sayers Ellis
- Holding Company, Major Jackson
- Hardscrabble, Kevin McFadden
The Total Tragedy of a Girl Named Hamlet, Erin Dionne (YA fiction)
- The Total Tragedy of a Girl Named Hamlet, Erin Dionne (YA fiction)
- Decoded, Jay-Z (nonfiction)
- The Anthologist, Nicholas Baker (fiction)
- Conquering Venus, Collin Kelley (fiction)
- Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, Barbara Kingsolver (nonfiction)
- The Gift, Lewis Hyde (nonfiction)
- To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee (classic fiction)
- In Cold Blood, Truman Capote (classic fiction)
- Leaving Atlanta, Tayari Jones (fiction)
- R. Dwayne Betts, A Question of Freedom (nonfiction)