Confession Tuesday

Welcome to June, and Confession Tuesday. I hope the summer-like weather is bringing out the sinner in you! Share a little of yourself with us and we promise to do the same. Don't forget to visit the folks doing time in The Confessional (see sidebar).



I forgot it was Confession Tuesday! I was just laying in bed listening to the rain fall (wondering if my car windows are up), and realized it's not Monday. So here I am, scribbling a few confessions with thunder in the distance.

****

Besides going to Block Island for a reading, I had a chance to see Sex and the City 2 this weekend. I was never a big fan of the show, but I saw the first movie on cable television so much I couldn't avoid it. Through all the ridiculously over-the-top fashion and recession-proof lifestyles, something about these four women spoke to me. Maybe because their message has changed from being young and free to being young, free, and encumbered with responsibilities.


The truest moment in SATC2 for me comes when the characters Miranda and Charlotte have a heart to heart about the difficulties of motherhood. Earlier in the movie, there's a scene where Charlotte cries in the closet after yelling at her daughter for getting food coloring on her clothes, while her infant daughter is sobbing uncontrollably in the high chair. What mother hasn't left the room for a self-imposed time-out? Miranda also is having trouble finding that work-life balance many of us try to seek.

By the time the two ladies sit down for a cocktail, they are more than ready to open up about the hard work of being a mother: it's a blessing, but overwhelming; sometimes motherhood is not enough; sometimes we think about getting away; and, how do women without help (which is most of us) do it day after day.

It was a little bit of validation for this Poet Mom to see women on the big screen talk about these rarely discussed issues.

****

I hate cutting the grass. I mean, it's great exercise but it represents everything I never signed on for but am stuck doing. (That's a gripe, not a confession.)

****

Going to Block Island gave me a chance to start a new poem. Hope to post it this week. Since I didn't write any poems worth keeping in May, I'd like to get back to a poem a week in June.

This also is the month to start working on revising poems in manuscript #2. I expect this to take up the bulk of my time, this and lots of play time with the kids.

****

Yesterday, my friends and I shot a video for one of my poems. That was the post I had ready to go for today before I realized it was Confession Tuesday. Pictures from the video shoot will go up later this afternoon.

****

Bring on Summer of Fun 2010!

Comments

Popular Posts