Confession Tuesday

It's Confession Tuesday!

Did you think I forgot what day it was? Tsk, tsk ...

****
I am still basking in the glow of my whirlwind trip to NYC. The photo shoot with Rachel Eliza Griffiths on Sunday was just fun. Honestly, I'm more excited about the extra shots she took of Joseph Legaspi and me than I am of my own. And then there's yesterday's luncheon, seeing Tracy K. Smith receive the Pulitzer ...

*swoon*

The thread running through the NY trip was that I got to spend time with three people who are incredibly connected to their work. Rachel, Joseph, and Tracy seemed to have aligned (or are in the process of aligning) their lives to reflect their values. Their work is central to their art. Put another way, they are doing what they love.

At the risk of getting a little hippy-dippy here, they are putting tremendous energy into the universe and I believe wholeheartedly that the universe is repaying it to them in happiness. They are inspiring and now I am inspired.

****

Also inspiring is the new summer position I'm taking on at Salem State University. This is my first day as project manager for the Center for Creative and Performing Arts. In addition to my Mass Poetry work, I'm helping manage the administrative side of the Summer Theatre Program, and working with J.D. Scrimgeour on the Salem State Poetry Seminar. Twelve college students from around the Commonwealth will attend a weeklong workshop with nightly readings, and a final "master class" taught by Afaa Michael Weaver.

****

Feeling very satisfied today, like the poetry "well" has been filled.

****

Even though it's been raining horses and cows for the last two days, I know the sun is waiting to appear again.

****

On the poetry front, I'm determined to work on drafts that want to be poems. Just like birthing, I need to hunker down and push those suckers out. Not very poetic, but true.

****

Any recommendations on recently written poetry books by women? I want to know who has a 2011-12 title that just knocks your socks off. Who should I read next?

Happy Tuesday, folks.


Comments

Susan Rich said…
Plume by Kathleen Flennigan
online diploma said…
This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work.
January said…
Susan, thanks for reminding me about Kathleen's book. I need to order it today.
online diploma said…
This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work.

Popular Posts