Monday, Monday

I am back from my grandmama's funeral, which was held on Saturday in Atlanta. It really was a celebration of life. Many friends and relatives came out on a muggy afternoon to pay their respects.

During the service, when asked to say a few words of remembrance, I got up to speak. As I looked out onto the audience, I was surprised by how many young people came out to say goodbye. Both she and my granddaddy helped a lot of people over years when money was tight. It was heartwarming to know that she meant so much to the people around her. The outpouring of support has been tremendous.

It was also nice to spend time with my granddaddy, aunt, cousins, and my parents, as well as visiting with my best friends from high school who have made their home in Atlanta. It was a quick trip, one I would have rather made under different circumstances, but I'm glad I was there to say goodbye.

****

Was good to get home last night. I wished I could have taken the kids with me but it just wasn't the right time. It was nice to see their smiling faces when I got home, which are full of gaps since they both have lost front teeth this month. Very cute.

****

Last night, I participated in the #poetparty of Twitter. Just the distraction I needed after a long weekend. Couldn't type answers fast enough!

If you search Twitter for the #poetparty hashtag, you can see the full text of the convo. Some questions I wish I could have expanded upon, so I may pick three and give a more detailed answer this week.

Comments

Popular Posts