Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Confession Tuesday

Happy Tuesday, folks!

This is the late afternoon, tired-as-all-get-out version of Confession Tuesday.
This is the "I need a nap but have to go home to hungry children" version.
This is "the poetry will wait" version.

By 9 a.m. Monday morning, I had helped my son create a Captain America costume, complete with red, white, and blue outfit and homemade shield. And my daughter had a diamond blue sword made out of foam core. They battled to the death--or until their TV time started.

By noon, I had 9 kids at my house for a five-hour play date. By 2:30 p.m., there was a talent show with the boys dancing Gangnam Style in the front yard (it was REALLY cute!). By 4 p.m., I had baked a dozen cookies, and at 9 p.m. I was in bed grading papers.

All this to say I'm a little tired today.


On Sunday, I went to a reading at Harvard University sponsored by the New England Poetry Club with Maria Mazziotti Gillan and Vivian Shipley. Now, Maria I have known for a few years through a bi-annual workshop she leads in New Jersey. She also runs the Paterson Literary Review--just a pleasure to be in her presence. But it was a real treat hearing Vivian Shipley's poetry.

Shipley is the author of nine collections and editor of the Connecticut ReviewBoth poets are well-published, active in the poetry community, and have too many accolades between them to count. It was lovely hearing them read together. What a treat!


Ahhh, the poem-a-day challenge. I have three poems waiting in the wings, which will bring my poem count up to seven. I hope I can stay awake long enough to type them up. I'm not quite where I want to be but I'm not giving up yet.

Waking up at 4:30 a.m. to write (or grade papers some mornings) has given me a chance to think about my next book project. It's been hard for me to find a way into the past, but I think I will start writing poems of place. I don't have enough of those, and when I'm feeling lost in my work, writing about home is as good as any a place to start.


Just got great news about an upcoming reading that came out of the blue! More info to come.


The AWP Boston Schedule is out! My two sessions are as follows:

Event #1: Lessons from the Field: Poetry Festivals and Community Building
Date: Thursday, March 7
Time: 10:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
Location: Room 200, Hynes Convention Center

Event #2: Massachusetts Book Award In Poetry, Past Winners Reading
Date: Friday, March 8
Time: 10:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
Location: Room 203, Hynes Convention Center

Cool. My first time presenting.

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails