National Poetry Month is 10 years old. And while I think it's a good thing, I wonder if it has damaged poetry. April feels like a cattle call for poets to give readings and lectures. Everybody reads in April and then there's no good poetry around until the fall. In Boston, with so many colleges and universities around, you would think that there would be an organization or publication that would report all of the literary happenings in the area. Well, I haven't found a good source yet.

If all politics are local, and poetry is a vehicle for the political, then I should be doing my part. My writing group has been on hiatus for the last 6 months. I'd like to get up and running again. We had a core group of two people, and a revolving of people who talk about writing but who have trouble committing.

In any case, I am due to write my second poem of the month. My first poem was lame--with any luck the next will be better. Writing, not writing...This is the life, isn't it?

Comments

Popular Posts