The Skinny

On this final day of National Poetry Month, I thought I'd share some reflections on my poetry.

Yes, some of it was bad--downright "yucky" as my son would say. But I'm so glad I forced myself to write. I wrote 22 poems, posted around 15, and was happy with five. That's five more poems I didn't think I'd have by the end. The whole idea was to get motivated about writing. Mission accomplished.

But the biggest surprise was blogging. I never fancied myself an exhibitionist (well, not since I hit my 30s), but I love the idea that people can comment on my work. And I like posting the rough, unfinished stuff. Even if it's bad, it's still a poem in progress. Another surprise was the amount of good poetry blogs. I've managed to discover other writers living in my little corner of the world, as well as keep up with the business of poetry. Not an easy feat when you're raising two kids under the age of three.

I'm a bit sad that NPM is over, because that means I have to start doing all those things I put off: exercise, reading, swapping winter clothes for summer wear, talking to my family (just kidding--mommy loves you!). It also means having to break up chores and tasks into manageable chunks. I really hate that. I prefer having long stretches when I can work uninterrupted. Alas, such is life.

So in May and hereafter, I'll post as much as I can. Maybe I'll aim for a poem every few days. And I'll continue to share my thoughts on this subject I love so much.

Have you kissed a poet today? It's not too late. You have time.

Comments

Popular Posts